Jussie Smollett Loses Broadway Role Over Hate Crime Hoax?

April 17, 2019

USA Today

from rhymeswithsnitch

Last month actor Jussie Smollett agreed to a plea deal that sealed his case and included no jail time after he was accused of staging a hate crime hoax in Chicago.

Jussie's little stunt may have just cost him the lead role in a Broadway play...

From The Daily Mail

Multiple sources tell DailyMail.com that Smollett has been cut from the upcoming Broadway revival of the 2003 Tony-winning play Take Me Out.

The actor had been in New York to do a reading of that play back in January, just 12 hours before he told police that he had been punched and kicked by two men shouting homophobic and racist slurs outside his apartment. 

'Everything was set to go and the producers were planning to announce that Jussie and Zachary Quinto were starring in the play last month,' said one Broadway insider. 

'Everyone was so supportive after the attack and then suddenly, everything shifted.'

Another source close to the production reiterated this, and said that the events of the last few months have left them in shock. 

'Here is a kid who is on a hit television show, has made a name for himself, and gets the chance of a lifetime,' said that source.

'He would have come off the sixth season of Empire and kicked off the next leg of his career with a role on Broadway. And not just that, the lead role in one of the best plays of the century in his Broadway debut.'